Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Veil VS Fascinator

More and more brides are opting for fascinators over veils today, I am confused... WHY???
I have very passionate views on this matter, I am very pro-veil. I have posted some veil and fascinator pictures below for comparison and any sane person would surely agree that the veil prevails (so to speak). Don't let the name fool you ladies, there is nothing fascinating about a fascinator at a wedding!
Fascinators belong at the races and funerals only. Nothing will ruin the appearance of a beautiful custom made wedding dress faster than a cheap looking fascinator. I'm sure your sitting there now thinking 'oh she's not talking to me, my fascinator didn't/wouldn't look cheap' - sorry to break it you - but yes you too, all fascinators look cheap when paired with a wedding dress!
In the past western women used to wear their hair running down their back at their wedding to symbolise their virginity, now the white veil is often said to represent this. I know I know these days, shock horror, most women aren't virgins when they get hitched but i think this reason has now evolved to represent the woman giving herself to this one man for the rest of her life. The lifting of the veil was often part of the ancient wedding ritual, symbolising the groom taking possession of his wife or the revelation of the bride by her parents to the groom for his approval. Although I find this wording outdated today, I do think there is something wonderfully romantic about a groom peeling back his new wife's veil to kiss her for the first time as husband & wife infront of family & friends. I have to say i am fond of a little tradition and the veil represents that. Sure, we have moved on as a society from its original meaning but at least the veil stands for something - the groom taking this woman as his wife for the rest of their days together and seals this commitment after the unveiling with a kiss. It is a show stopping moment in any wedding ceremony that most women look forward to seeing, don't deprive them of that! Most wedding ceremonies are boring enough, they need this moment!
Whereas the fascinator is just a lame accessory that looks ridiculous, has no meaning and never seems to sit right on any one's head. I guarantee you'll look back at your wedding photos and cringe that you wore that netting on your head instead of a timeless veil. Now I am not sure if I have done the veil justice with my babbling argument but putting my thoughts on paper was never my strong suit! If all else fails people know this - Camilla, Charles' chick (pictured below), wore a fascinator on her wedding day - need I say more?! I rest my case. enjoy...ELB.







No comments:

Post a Comment